MJ Live

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Samoan Generosity (Written 2/19/06)

For the most part, I am very skittish about doing the whole hitchhiking deal in Samoan. It has just been drilled into my head over the past 24 years that you NEVER hitch hike and you NEVER pick up a hitchhiker. So I am always prepared to walk long distances and not depend on hitchhiking at all when trying to get to Apia. My bike still has a flat tire (tried patching it, didn’t work) so I was faced with the prospect of having to walk all the way to church today (about a 45 minute walk). So I got up early, ate and started my nice leisurely stroll into Apia – under the nice Equator sun. Before I got halfway between Chanel and Apia, though, one of Bryan’s relatives who lives in MoaMoa stopped and asked where I was going. When I told her I was going to Peace Chapel for church, she gave me a ride there which was awesome. I arrived right on time and had I walked all the way I would have been at least 30 minutes late. So that was definitely a blessing.

After running a few errands in town, I decided it was time to haul it back to the house. Since I don’t like to use taxi’s a lot I got mentally and physically ready for the long walk back to my house. No one is usually driving around on Sunday, so I just knew I wouldn’t be able to get a ride all the way to my place. As soon as I reached the road that leads directly to my house, a truck pulled over and asked where I was going. I told them and they not only gave me a lift to my place, they also bought me a coke and gave me some Taro and palusami. I was just amazed by both acts of generosity and surprised by the fact that I didn’t have to ask for either ride – they just showed up.

While I still won’t be depending solely on hitchhiking into town (especially once my bike is fixed), it’s nice to know that it really is a viable option – even on my long and desolate street.

No comments: