MJ Live

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

OJT Part 1 (Written Oct 25 2005)

Today was my first on the job training for my potential job as a PCV. The site I went to today was one of three possible choices for where I will be placed by the end of the week. I went to St. Joseph's College (where we had our first Ava Ceremony) and shadowed the volunteer who is leaving named Dick Anderson. If I were to end up teaching there I would be teaching basic computer skills such as how to use the Office Suite and some hardware issues. When I first got there, I was very nervous about being under qualified for the position but after a few minutes in the class I definitely felt a lot better about the situation. The kids at St. Joe seem to be very good and listen quite well (but like any school there are groups that get a bit rowdy). I even had the chance to teach one of the classes (more like doing review) and while I was a bit rough around the edges I think I did a pretty solid job. While the kids were a bit shy with me a first by the end of class I had them smiling and asking me questions – so hopefully that means I made a good first impression. This is a Catholic school and while I'm not a big cheerleader for the Catholic church, the brothers/pastors running the school appear to be very nice and energetic which makes for a great work environment. Also, throughout the day I got to assist with some of Dick's classes and even the kids in those classes were happy to accept my help which really kept me engaged all day. While I can see myself working at St. Joe's, I think it would be a better fit for another ICT rather than myself – but I'm not the one making the decision. No matter where I'm placed, that's where I'm supposed to be. On Thursday I go to Chanel College which is where we had our FiaFia. My next OJT takes me back to the airport, which is where we first arrived in Samoa – that sounds about right.

No comments: