MJ Live

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Living in a Fish Bowl (Written Oct 26 2005)

I would like to say I can never own a gold fish now. I can't do it because I now know how they feel and it's not a great feeling. Living in the village has definitely felt like I was living in a fish bowl. We're constantly monitored by the village people and everything we say or do is transported across the village in a matter of hours. For example, at about 10am, Bryan went to a nearby store to buy a coke. On his way back, some kid saw him drinking the coke. By 12pm, when Bryan went home for lunch his family knew about the coke and asked if he like coke – they had never offered it to him before. Come to think of it, I was drinking a green Fanta (I went to the store with Bryan) and later that afternoon I was offered lemonade (which looked like the green Fanta color). It's amazing how fast info gets around such a small space. I'm still running into people I've never met that know my name and everyone asks "where are you going?" or asks some question that inquires what your current activity is. For someone, like me, it can be very draining on the mind. As most of you know, I'm a very private person and if I don't want you to know my business – that should be okay with you. Not in the village – if you're not sharing you're obviously hiding something and they'll start some rumor based on circumstantial evidence even if it turns out not to be true. The bad thing about this situation is that we love all the kids in the village but right now we can't trust any of them. We know that parents send their kids to follow us and then report back to them what we did or said. The parents are the basis of our suspicions; their kids are unfortunately caught in the middle. For me, this is tough because I've never been so monitored in my life and had to be weary of what I say (even at home).

            That's not to say the fish bowl is all bad. Tonight I had the opportunity to play with three of my Samoan brothers – Akaima, Iasia and Satuela. It was great just hanging out with them – I threw a paper Frisbee around with Satuela while Akaima and Iasia played a Samoan rock game that's easier to show than it is to explain. It just reminded me that without videogames and a lot of electronic items kids will find ways to have fun – even in the fish bowl. Also today I asked my Samoan aunt to write down the Lords prayer in Samoan and I was a lot better at reading the Samoan Bible tonight – so it shouldn't take to long before that spreads across the village. So if you're thinking about getting a goldfish, just picture me in there and just say no!

BTW, the name Pisikoa (Peace Corps) seems to crop up in almost every conversation around here – I guess we're kinda a big deal. Or we're the only news in town – take your choice!

No comments: