MJ Live

Thursday, May 11, 2006

It’s a small island after all (Written 5/10/06)

This is to good a story to keep to myself, so I gotta share it with you. A few weeks back I went out to a party with some fellow Peace Corps and had to take a taxi to get home. So I decided to split one with Ryan and Charles. The taxi driver first dropped over Ryan and Charles at St Joe's and then took me home. While we were in the car, I started talking to the driver and got a really good feeling about him. We talked about how he was doing this taxi thing on the side to help out a cousin of his and how in a few weeks he would sell the taxi. I really liked this cab driver because I could sense that he was a good person and he wasn't acting like the typical cab driver. In fact, I would say that was possibly my best cab experience since I came to Samoa because I didn't feel uncomfortable with him at all. So that night I said a little prayer for that cab driver and the cousin he was helping out.

 

Tonight I went to a bible study that is mainly attended by people who go to the church I attend here – Peace Chapel. When I arrived there I finally got to meet our PCMO's husband, Pati. I knew Teuila's (our PCMO) 4 girls but I had never seen her husband so that was a great privilege. It wasn't until later on in the night that he said something about remembering dropping me off at MoaMoa. I didn't know what he was talking about until he mentioned also dropping off Ryan and Charles at St. Joe's. Teuila's husband was the cab driver I met that night – how weird is that! I couldn't remember his face because it was a dark night and he was wearing a cap, but I do remember his friendly attitude and I was shocked when he reminded me of that night. So I had met Teuila's husband even though I didn't know it. If you don't believe that Samoa is small now, here's your proof! Unfortunately, he sold his cab so I won't be getting a ride from him anytime soon but I'll always have the memory.

 

 

No comments: