MJ Live

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Injury Update

I just did a little surfing online for what my leg injury might be -
especially since our PCMO told me that I should rest it for a couple
of weeks (which is about a couple of weeks longer then I expected).
After using the awesome power of google, I think I know what I have: a
grade two pulled muscle. Here's the descritption:

The term 'pulled muscle' comes from the description of how the injury
takes place. Usually the muscle is forcibly stretched beyond its
limits and the muscle tissue becomes torn. A tear in a muscle is
referred to as a strain and depending on its severity it is classified
as a first, second or third degree strain.

With a grade one strain there is a sensation of cramp or tightness,
and a slight feeling of pain when the muscles are stretched or
contracted. A grade two strain produces more immediate and severe
pain; the hamstring is sore to touch and there will be bruising below
the injury site after a few days. With a grade three strain the
athlete is unable to move without pain, and there may be a bulge of
soft tissue through the muscle layer.

The immediate treatment of any muscle injury consists of the RICE
protocol - rest, ice and compression and elevation (never apply ice
directly to the skin). Depending upon the severity of the injury, the
leg must be rested from sporting activity for between 3 weeks and 3
months.

So, its possible I could be off my bike for as little as 2 weeks to as
long as about a month (it's not severe enough for 3 months). There you
have it folks, I pushed myself so hard I got my first exercise related
injury...Peace Corps is hardcore!

No comments: